Clio Area Schools
Our Journey to Reading Success
By Stephen Keskes, Ed.S.
Assistant Superintendent, Clio Area Schools
2018/2019: 21 Teachers and Interventionists across all grade levels and teaching assignments volunteered to spend 3 days of their summer to receive Structured Literacy training through Children’s Choice Initiative. Newly-hired elementary teachers were mandated to attend.
We Collected Data using STAR Early Literacy, STAR Reading, DRA and M-STEP.
2019/2020: 14 more staff members were trained through CCI. These included: Summer School teachers, classroom teachers, all new elementary teachers, more Special Education staff, and paraprofessional staff. During this year, we also had 3 teachers be trained by CCI staff to be trainers of future staff.
We began collecting more STAR, DRA, and M-STEP Data.
What We Discovered
- After 3 years of declining scores in our economically disadvantaged subgroup, our ELA scores for all our students grades 3-8 rose from 47.6% to 49.7%.
- 5th Grade M-STEP Percent Proficiency Rates in Reading grew 5% for that year’s cohort, and an 8% programmatic gain over the previous year’s results.
- Every classroom implementing the program with fidelity grew over one year on the DRA and the STAR Reading Assessments.
- Educators report extremely high efficacy in the area of teaching reading after receiving and implementing the training.
- “Summer Slide” for affected students decreased dramatically.
- High school students with special education needs showed the highest growth in years.
- An increase of parents, who heard of our success, enrolled their children in our district through Schools of Choice to receive our reading instruction and support.
Learn how you can bring CCI to your district. Reach out today.